The Scally McDaid Roarty Medical Practice as it is known today was founded by Dr Paddy Scally when he came to the town of Letterkenny in 1954. A native of Ballycastle in County Antrim, he married Dr Maureen Bonar from Gortahork and they set up in Practice together around this time.
To deal with the increasing workload, Dr Bonar-Scally decided in 1979 to take on an extra doctor and Dr James McDaid joined at this time. They were very compatible and Dr McDaid became a full partner in 1981. The workload continued to increase and the practice continued to develop.
Dr Paddy died suddenly in 1987. It has been suggested that Dr McDaid might run in the General Election of 1987 but this did not happen as events unfolded. This was to change in 1989 when Dr McDaid did run and win a seat in the General Election of 1989.
Dr Dara Scally then joined in June 1993 and became a full partner in 1994. Her mother, Dr Bonar-Scally retired at the end of 1996.
In 2008 it was agreed that a new premises was required to deal with the increasing numbers of patients and a mortgage was then obtained and the first Primary Care Centre of a Private Public Partnership (P.P.P) in Ireland was opened in November 2009.